December 22, 2006

[Music World] My digital piano

I've finally chosen my digital piano. I already own one (an acoustic instrument, quite basic), but I had a elemental need: to play piano through headphones, that is whenever I want... ehm... I can (in the evening and during the night!).

And I had a budget around 1000€ (not so much, but enough to find a certain number of pianos to test). I've played with different brands (Kawai, Korg, Roland, Viscount, GEM) but:
  • the satisfying models were out of budget (e.g. Roland RD700SX is a very good digital piano to me, but a little far away...)
  • the models around the budget were not satisfactory to me with respect either to the keyboard "touch" (even if the action was graded hammer, it was not natural, too "artificial", with too plastical movement) or the Grand Piano sound (the only sound I've looked after) not convincing.
Special mention only to Casio, because Privia PX700 and especially PX800 were quite satisfactory to me with respect to keyboard feeling and piano sound.But I've then decided to move to stage pianos, not to pay for the wooden forniture, sacrificing its cost to enhance action and sound quality.

That's why I came to Yamaha CP33 Stage Piano.


It is a little under 1000€, without internal sequencing capabilities, so you pay only for the keyboard and the 14 internal sounds. That's all. Moreover, it has half pedal capabilities, which is not so common in this price range. I've always loved Yamaha action touch feeling, and the Grand Piano sound is quite good to me. For sure, at least for the double price, there are much more good pianos around. If I had enough budget, I'd have gone for the Roland RD700SX. But I'm very satisfied with the CP33, also for portability issues ("only" 18 Kg).

If you're looking for a digital piano, one single advice, if I can: try, try, try, then try again. No reviews can help you. Only your fingers and your ears can allow your heart to decide (within your budget, of course!).